Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am blog-tired.

I've pretty much spent the entire weekend sorting through all of the things in my house that at one time seemed oh-so-very important and worth my time and money. We are getting rid of, not just one, but several butt-loads of stuff. I pulled ten plastic storage totes filled with baby clothes out of our attic. Betsy has been sorting through them all, reminiscing, diverting my attention to show me something cute that I don't remember our kids wearing but still claim that "it was always one of my favorites, too," and generally asking my advice about things that couldn't possibly be more out of my area of expertise.

The book elimination went rather well and now I have a few hundred books lined up neatly in my garage ready to be purchased by someone who will no doubt hover over their pristine pages while eating a gooey jam sandwich. I am remarkably anal when it comes to my books. Most of the books I buy are used and their previous owners took very good care of them. I like to return the favor by taking equally good care so that, someday, someone else will have a gently used book to enjoy. This philosophy clashes enormously with everything else about me.

We have also decided to get rid of the television in our bedroom. With it goes the small entertainment center upon which it rested. And one of my bookshelves. And an old U.S. Army footlocker, which we aren't selling, but is going in the garage. I'm selling decorative boxes and a Darth Vader mug... maybe. I'm still struggling with that one. I've pulled so much stuff out of our bedroom that Betsy and I have decided that, while it's so empty, we may as well paint it.

This decluttering process is so freeing that it makes me reluctant to own anything at all. It's truly astonishing how my attitude has changed. I'm less distracted, I'm more patient, I feel like I can move and, therefore, I move more. I look around and see no little trinkets that need attention and no piles of meaningless possessions that need protecting.

I feel like I can proceed with the important things.

Thank you,
Matt Beers

No comments:

Post a Comment