Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Bridge of Khazad Dumb...

I complain a lot about people who let their young children watch movies which are completely and utterly inappropriate for their age. I know people who have taken their three-year old to see PG13-rated movies. I went to an R-rated movie once and saw a family there with three very young children (two of them had baby blankets and were asleep in the seats BEHIND their parents by the time the movie was over). I can't imagine what goes through a person's mind when they do this.

I don't have to imagine, because I experienced this lack of judgment first-hand this evening when I decided that my six-year old son was ready for The Lord of the Rings. He cried when Gandalf fell off the Bridge of Khazad Dum. Yeah. I should be getting my Parent of the Year certificate in the mail any day now.

So, what went through my mind? Not a lot.

I am currently setting money aside for future therapy bills.

Thank you,
Matt Beers

2 comments:

  1. Groovy photo of Gandalf you've got there. And at least your kid made it all the way to the Bridge. Mine would have gone ballistic at the Nazgul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite funny, really. He loved the Nazgul and, once he actually saw it and could dispel the myth that he had built up in his head, he thought the Balrog was pretty cool, too. I've really worked with him to make sure he understands that the stuff in movies and on TV are all fake. He feels it pretty hard when people have to say goodbye. He almost cried when I was reading Prisoner of Azkaban to him and he realized that Professor Lupin wasn't going to be able to teach Harry anymore (even though he had seen it in the movie half a dozen times).

    ReplyDelete