Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Va-ROOM! (because I didn't know what else to call this post)

I have a confession to make. I hate NASCAR. Like, seriously and for real. I try to be understanding when it comes to the interests of others, but I seriously struggle to find the value in watching a bunch of rednecks make left turns for hours on end. This might not be a huge deal anywhere else in the world, but I live in Indiana where everyone drives around with some moron's racing number stuck to their back window. I once worked with a landscaping crew and during lunch they actually huddled around a radio and listened to a race. It was about as interesting as watching someone think real hard about where to get their taxes done.

In spite of this I've developed an interest in cars. It's a very shallow and uneducated interest based on whatever they say on Top Gear, but it's an interest nonetheless. My son, who has eleven trillion HotWheels and Matchbox cars, often asks me what my favorite car is. That's a question I feel that most adults screw up royally. The average adult will say a Ferrari Enzo or a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Bugatti Veyron. I completely and utterly respect those answers and if I was standing in a showroom with a fistful of blank checks from Bill Gates' checkbook, I'd probably say the same. But there is no showroom and there are no blank checks. There are only the limitless possibilities of a hypothetical question. If you're going to give a ridiculous and impossible answer, why not aim a little higher?

What follows are my top six favorite cars of all time, based on a number of factors, but primarily on coolness:

6. The A-Team van
5. The General Lee
4. Ecto 1 (the ambulance from Ghostbusters)
3. The Delorean from Back to the Future
2. The Batmobile
1. The Mach 5 from Speed Racer

Some people might criticize me for putting the Mach 5 ahead of the Batmobile, but, while the Batmobile is sleek and mysterious and has some pretty cool gadgets, at some point you're going to be expected to get out and fight someone. The Mach 5 is faster, has just as many, if not more, gadgets, and is street legal, presumably.

Thank you,
      Matt Beers

No comments:

Post a Comment